I thought of this one as the yellow stripe grunge.

I created this before they asked for a larger cross to be added. As with the others, I started with a background I found at psdgraphics.com. The grunge of the background is only slightly enhanced here. I added some faded "echoes" of the logo to create some visual interest.
Notice this has some elements of the "boring" image. It uses yellow and diagonal stripes, though in a much more dynamic way. It also has contrast between the dark charcoal grey and the yellow stripes that enhances the visual interest.
This was not a bad start, and I preferred the metal plate image. However, this was the most popular image of the initial set. As previous stated, I was asked to add a larger cross to the images.
I should take a moment to note here that I had no copy of the logo given to me for this project. I had to make my own. Luckily, it was little more than a typeface and a Methodist cross in place of the 't'. I checked and yes, I had the typeface used in the logo. However... (shhhh... don't tell anyone) the original logo was in Arial, which is an ugly typeface, but I used Helvetica. No one noticed the change, which both pleased me, because I got away with it, and disappointed me, because no one cared enough to notice. Oh well.
So anyway, what happened when I had to add a large cross to the graphic? Let's find out.

The overall image is actually slightly lighter than before. More grunge enhancements were made and more "echoes" were added. I deliberately darkened spots, and cut slivers and patches out of the large cross. The letters in the logo also got some "distressing". I did not want to interfere with the shapes of the cross or the letters to a great degree. I just added some character.
You may notice some of the echoes are light and some are dark. This was done purely for visual interest. They both balance the grunge and enhance the presence of it. They also balance the visual weight of the large cross and the yellow stripes.
This image seemed to please everyone, and that is the image that was chosen to be used for Revolution. But the story doesn't end there. There is more to come. Why? Well, I will give you three hints, 16, 9 and 3.
3? Yes, 3. Exciting, isn't it? Come back next time, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.
No comments:
Post a Comment