Monday, February 14, 2011

Week 5

So I got some feedback on my work, the two I showed you before and another that we will get to in a subsequent post. The grey and purple one was too boring. The metal one looked great. However, the images needed to have a large cross. Okay. So, back to work I went.

First I tried to fix the boring one.

In addition to adding a cross, I used a different carbon fiber texture, and, obviously changed the
purple to yellow. The yellow not only provided better contrast, it looks more energetic. Yellow is the color of energy. It can enhance the metabolism, get the blood moving, and energy is what a youth convention needs.

Notice that I did not use a bright yellow. A bright and/or fully saturated yellow can cause eye strain and irritation. I gave the yellow a little more red to make it a bit less intense. I also used a gradient to add some dimension to the shape and to temper the natural brightness of the yellow.

Naturally, the addition of the large cross meant I needed to reorganize the elements of the image to establish visual balance. I did not want the image overpowered by the large cross, and since I was using, basically, the same Methodist cross that is used in the logo, as the large cross, I did not need to have the whole thing on screen. This allowed me to push the cross over, with arms extending over the edge, which allowed me enough room to comfortably place the revolution logo and the other graphic elements.

I do prefer this to the previous version, but it needs more work. It's still a bit boring.

Which brings me to the revised metal version.

Aside from the reorganization of the image, the most obvious change is that I started to dirty up the image some. The background is largely the same, but the metal plate now has some shading and mottling. I added mottling as well to the large cross.

Also, the metal plate is not as long as before. I needed to make room for the large cross. The problem here is that the large cross seems almost too strong for the overall image. The metal plate doesn't effectively balance the image.

You may notice the large cross here is in the same place as the large cross on the previous image. This is because I did not know how many of my images might be used, and I thought that if several were used, it would be interesting to have the main elements, the cross and the logo, in the same space on each image. Things didn't quite work out that way.

Next time, what they really liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment